This version creates the lemonade base, to which you add ice or fizzy water when serving.
- 1½ cups sugar
- 1 ½ cups water
- Zest from one lemon
- 1 ½ cups fresh lemon juice
- lemons slices, to garnish
- fresh mint leaves, to garnish
- Place sugar and water in saucepan.
- Bring to boil for 5 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Cool slightly.
- Add lemon juice and zest to the sugar syrup.
- Cool completely.
- Pour the lemonade syrup into a bottle with a tight lid and keep in fridge for up to 3 weeks.
- To serve, place ice cubes in the bottom of a glass.
- Add ¼ cup of the lemon syrup, and fill cup with ice water or soda water.
- Pink lemonade: add 1/2 cup grenadine syrup to the jar of lemonade syrup and stir.
- Strawberry lemonade: add 2 tablespoons of puree of fresh strawberries into each glass.